Dental hygiene is the process of keeping ones mouth clean and free from diseases by regularly cleaning and brushing the teeth. Dental hygiene should be kept clean at all times to prevent occurrence of dental diseases.
Here are some tips that are very simple to follow:
- The main type of dental diseases are dental decay and bleeding gums. Most dentist suggest that regular brushing should be done in the morning and at night time before going to sleep. When cleaning your teeth,it is important that you also clean in between them using floss since normal brushing does not reach between some tooth surface.
- Tooth decay is the most common type of tooth disease. Tooth cleaning is the process of removing trapped food materials on teeth surface to prevent tooth associated diseases.
- Dentists mostly recommend that teeth be cleaned twice a day. Other teeth cleaning process include tooth scaling, polishing and fluoride treatment.
- Dentists may a times apply dental sealant to cover the teeth surface and back of teeth to prevent accumulation of food materials in between them. However good dental hygiene is mostly recommended as it prevents build up of food materials in the mouth.
- Dental plague is a whitish sticky substance mainly found around tooth gums. It always reappears after tooth cleaning and what makes it even worse is that it harbors bacteria and that is why regular brushing is being recommended.
- Dental plaque is caused by accumulation of sugar in teeth. The accumulated sugar ferments and is converted into acid by the plague.The plague then starts to attack the adjacent teeth causing tooth decay. The longer the plague stays in the teeth, the tougher it becomes to eradicate . This situation is referred to as calculus.
- Brushing teeth daily is the easiest method of preventing most teeth diseases. Brushing should be carried out for at least 3 minutes. When brushing teeth,it is highly recommended that you use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride toothpaste rejuvenate the already destroyed teeth parts and neutralizes the acids formed in teeth as a result of plague.
- The tongue also host a number of bacteria and in most cases it’s the main cause of bad smell. To avoid this,use tongue scraper to clean and remove debris from its surface.
- Foods rich in vitamin c are also highly recommended as it promotes development of strong bones and teeth.
- Smoking has mostly been linked with dental diseases. It destroys the teeth nerves reducing their sensitivity to pain. This makes it more prone to everyday wear and tear.
- When using dentures, it should be kept clean at all times. This can be done by soaking overnight them in an alkaline denture cleansing solution.