How long does a dental implant last? A dental implant can last longer than we expect them to be. It can even last like our natural teeth. But how can that be possible? What should we do to extend the lifespan of dental implants? In that case, you are fortunate to have made your way in this article. We can provide you ways to make dental implants last. Additionally, as the Lyndarum Family Dentist clinic explains, preventing dental problems and restoring or enhancing smiles are still possible.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are restorative options that a dentist can recommend for missing teeth. Additionally, a dental implant involves metal posts made of titanium. These metal posts will serve as a permanent replacement for tooth roots. The titanium post will then integrate with the bone. In effect, patients will not worry that it will come off. Not unless something occurs after the implant surgery.
In this case, patients should know that dental implant failure can potentially happen. But then again, a dental implant is still a permanent solution to missing teeth. However, why will we need a tooth replacement option in the first place?
Patients will need tooth replacement options after losing a tooth or more teeth. In effect, they can maintain the structure of the jaw and prevent other oral issues. Implants with a dental crown on top appear like natural teeth, so people are less likely to notice them.
You can check this post to learn more about the cost of dental implants.
Reasons Why You’ll Need Tooth Replacement Options
A patient has a risk of losing teeth. The following are the typical reasons why someone can lose a tooth or more.
- Tooth root fracture
- Bruxism or teeth grinding
- Cleft lip and palate
- Facial injury
- Gum disease
Given these reasons, there is a higher risk of permanently losing teeth if the patient will not treat these oral health conditions. Aside from that, losing a tooth can also lead to other problems in the long run.
What Can You Expect From Implant Surgery?
1 Before Operation
First, you will need to have a dental consultation about the procedure. During this period, your dentist will discuss whether it is the best option for your missing teeth or not. Additionally, your dentist has to know about your medical history. Your dentist should be aware of your medical conditions and the list of medications and supplements.
Additionally, this appointment will determine whether you are a good candidate or not for dental implants. The following requirements are essential to be a suitable candidate for the procedure.
- First, your teeth and gums should be in good health condition.
- Secondly, there should be enough bone density to serve as excellent support for dental implants.
- Another requirement is that the patient should be practicing excellent dental hygiene.
- Furthermore, patients should be willing to quit smoking.
- Lastly, the patients should be ready to face the long-term process of completing the entire dental implants procedure.
2 During the Operation
The completion of the entire dental implants method is long-term. It could take several months before patients could reach their finish line for tooth replacement. Meanwhile, below are the procedures involved with dental implants application.
- Tooth extraction: The dental surgeon will need to extract the damaged tooth. The extraction may take only an hour. Dental implant placement can follow immediately, not unless there is an infection.
- Bone grafting: The bone graft method is necessary if the patients do not have enough bone density to support the implants. It will take time to regrow the bone structure.
- Dental implant placement: Either a trained dentist or an oral surgeon will perform the placement of a dental implant.
- Osseointegration: It involves the healing of the affected area. This part will take most of the time before the dentist or the surgeon can complete the whole operation. During this time, proper care is indeed necessary.
- Dental crown placement: Crowns will serve as your finish line to complete the entire teeth replacement. However, your responsibility for your teeth will not end there. It will be just the beginning.
3 After the Operation
Your dentist or your surgeon will provide you aftercare instructions. Dental implants look like natural teeth. Moreover, it is necessary to care for it just like caring for a natural tooth to make them last. Proper dental hygiene is essential at all costs, with or without an implant. Next in line, we will be providing information on how to make your dental implants last.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Generally speaking, we all know how costly dental implants could be. Going back to what you have been through to complete it, won’t you care for it properly? Meanwhile, we kept asking, how long do dental implants last? Additionally, what can we do to make them last? No worries, we can answer your question. So, stay where you are. We got you.
In actuality, dental implants last forever. Can you believe that? Well, you can believe that. It’s for real, you know. The only secret you need is proper oral hygiene. Yes! As simple as that. Just like your natural set of teeth. Proper brushing and flossing are the keys to excellent oral hygiene.
Additionally, proper oral hygiene is the best defense you can have to protect your dental implant and your natural teeth. Moreover, your oral hygiene can even save you from developing other health issues affecting overall health.
An implant can last a lifetime. I’m telling you that your dental team can restore the health of your gum and teeth. Above all that, you can smile again while showing your teeth. An implant can even fill what’s missing in front of the mouth.
Overall, a properly cared implant can last as long as 15 years or up to a lifetime. So, won’t you try an implant as your tooth replacement option?
Dental implants can stay forever as it is, depending on how you care for them. Dental hygiene is the primary secret of making that happen. The longevity of dental implants lies in your hands and oral habits. So, if you want to make your smile and dental implants stay healthy and excellent, brushing and flossing should never be absent in your daily routines.